Monday, June 15, 2009

Settling

I suppose most of you have noticed that I have not updated in awhile. It's because I really don't feel like I have that much to say. When I spoke to my mother a few minutes ago she said I sounded blase. I am not. I think I have reached a point where I am starting to settle in and things are feeling routine. This is a good and bad thing. While the novelty of Thai culture has begun to wear off, usually something shocks me or makes me think everyday. Some parts of Thai culture have just been flat out annoying me now and some parts have become normal. Work is still coming along slowly, but that's okay. My co-workers know I have an assignment for our second bit of training and are holding off on really getting started on any projects with me until after that...or at least that's what they tell me. My assignment preparations have been going really well. No complaints. I feel like I should probably be a little more attentive to my language learning as I have just been coasting the past couple of weeks. I need to pick up with my studies. 
This past weekend I had the chance to get together with 5 other volunteers in Ubon (one of the region's biggest cities and very close to me) to do "Western" things. We went bowling, swimming, grocery shopping, ate out, relaxed and chatted in the hotel, got beers, went dancing...it was good. As always it was good to return to my village, though it has been HOT lately. 
Things are fine, things are good. Not extraordinary, not terrible, it's just life.
We had another volunteer from out group return to the US, which is always hard to hear about. There is no reason to judge these volunteers and I totally support their decisions. Peace Corps is hard and filled with ups and downs. I guess I am at an equilibrium at this point, which I guess is a pretty good place to be. 

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post because I can totally relate to how you were feeling! My mom constantly would infer that I'm unhappy or sad in India, when really that wasn't the case. I almost feel sometimes like I have to defend my more passive opinions towards things sometimes, and note that the indifference doesn't mean I'm unhappy, it's just a natural, normal feeling that sinks in once you're settled somewhere.
    Think about being in the states... or living anywhere really. There are days where your senses are stimulated from morning to night, you try something extraordinary, learn about something that was unfamiliar to you previously. But those are just some days...the majority of the time your life passes by you- rountinely, without fluctuation or drama. And it's the small things (learning to speak another language, taking a dip in freezing cold water, trying your own at mastering the spiciness that is Thailand) that is what life's all about...and gives us reason to keep living!

    Much love to you girl, and keep on doing what you're doing!

    xoxo
    Kelin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Kelin. I am on a ridiculous rollercoaster here and I live at home! Maybe that is the problem...hmmm. Anywho sometimes it is nice to just be for a little bit. Put it into neutral and occassionally rev the engine a little then put it back into gear.

    ReplyDelete