Thursday, October 1, 2009

Thoughts

Blogging is difficult. It is hard to think of my experiences with the freshness of a traveler because nothing seems to surprise me now. I guess that's because I really live here now. Yes, I left America eight months ago. It's hard to believe but when I think about home and what I was doing this time last year I can really see some of the changes in myself. Though life abroad and life in the Peace Corps is hard, I wouldn't trade this opportunity for anything in the world. 
Believe me, I don't feel like this everyday. The days when I am sick, when I can't find the Thai to get my point across, when the office tells me they have no budget for my projects, when I have to ride my bike in the rain, or when all I can smell is pig shit and burning trash are HARD. But there are plenty of good moments that make up for those, and for all those HARD moments, they build character right??
I am so lucky to have been placed in Thailand. I am lucky for the wonderful people in my community. I am lucky some of those people are motivated to do projects with me. I am lucky that my some of my fellow volunteers have become my best friends and my family. I am lucky that I have family (2 Thai families and 1 american family that is coming to visit in December). 

Here's what's been going on lately:
1. I study Thai twice a week with Pi Mod, an awesome teacher and friend. And I can read on like a 2nd grade level!
2. I took two women living with AIDS to a Peace Corps sponsored conference on business skills in Bangkok for a week. We will now have weekly meetings to strengthen the group in our community and hopefully begin an income generation project. 
3. I laughed as hard and as much as I ever have last weekend in Bangkok. 
4. I went to Outback Steakhouse for the second time in my life and had the time of my life!
5. I have watched 3 seasons of LOST in one month (that show is addicting!!)
6 I have read over 3,000 pages. 
7. I have spent way too much time on the internet. 
8. I have project ideas flowing, just not funds. 
9. I am counting down to a beach vacation in three weeks!!!

Though I am not homesick, not that I would admit it if I was, I do miss hearing from friends and family. Emails are wonderful and if you have the time real mail or packages would be wonderful x10!! My mailing address is posted at the side of this blog. 

Peace to all, 
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I so love your blogs.Love to know your thoughts and feelings. I really envy your ability to write so descriptively. Thanks for
    sharing as often as you can.

    ReplyDelete