Monday, May 3, 2010

Letter

I was recently asked to write a letter to the next group of PC invitees to Thailand that will be included in their "Welcome Packet". Here is what I wrote:

Dear Invitees,

If you are reading this letter then you have just had the thrill of receiving and opening your Invitation Packet. I hope you are smiling as much as I am, and if not go ahead and slap a silly grin on your face because you are headed to the Land of Smiles!

My name is Sarah Brooks and CBOD volunteer living in Isan, the Northeast region of Thailand. I have been living and working here just over a year but I remember receiving my invitation to serve in Thailand like it was yesterday. I’m sure that you are overwhelmed with thoughts and emotions and probably have hundreds of questions. Hopefully the packet and this letter will give you some more information.

My service so far has been full of education, fun, hard work and self-exploration. From the moment I arrived in Thailand I realized that this is a wonderful country to be assigned to. The people are amazingly hospitable and kind hearted; the food is delicious and the scenery beautiful.

At site my days consist of riding my bike, going to the office, visiting villages, health stations, schools and studying Thai. I have been able to complete many projects successfully because Peace Corps gave me the tools of language, cultural understanding and technical work skills during training. My experience has been unique because I have focused on doing projects in the schools.

My experience is made even more unique because I chose to live with a Thai family for the length of my service. I have a father and mother and an older sister that treat me as one of their own. At our house we have a self-sufficient farm, so that all of the rice, fruit, pork and fish that we eat comes right from the back yard! I always have someone to talk to, someone to practice Thai with and someone to ask advice from. My family gives me privacy when I need it and has adapted the house to some American ways by giving my own room, complete with an Internet connection.

Accepting an invitation to serve in Peace Corps Thailand has been just as rewarding as I hoped it would be. I have made wonderful friends and gained a second family in my time here. Not only have I learned about and gained practical experience regarding community development, but I have also learned how I can be a citizen of the world and help to empower the wonderful people of Thailand.

Sarah Brooks, CBOD 121

1 comment:

  1. Well Said...Makes me want to be a PC Volunteer myself. You have been one tough Pooying to have made it solo and enjoyed it as you went thru the course...Hang in there...Choke Dee Robert...PS I still think Mee Maw should make a trip over there to see you!!!!

    ReplyDelete