Monday, March 1, 2010

Meat

Apparently American eat meat differently from the rest of the world. We cook meat thoroughly, usually disposing of all parts but the meat in the process. This is not so in Thailand, or for that matter many of the other places I have traveled in the world (Africa, Nepal, China, etc.)

Last night we had roasted chicken, with peanut sauce wrapped in lettuce leaves. Sounds delicious right?? BUT, the chicken was served, on the bone (ok i can deal with that) with all its skin, organs and even some hair still on it! I as I watched my Thai family dig right in, I noticed a big difference between us. They were completely comfortable with this whole chicken thing, while I definitely was not.

I definitely think that there are other Americans who would act the same way, had they been in this situation. Now I'm not trying to be a whiny, little you know what....I dug in after a few minutes and enjoyed what little white meat that I could and some unknown parts of the chicken and made my lettuce warps. I just wanted to point out this difference. Ya'll know what I'm saying???

1 comment:

  1. I always have have to make a special request for them to add hairs at KFC. And if you happen to get an organ they charge you for the extra meat :-)

    ReplyDelete