Saturday, August 7, 2010

critters

I was running out the door this afternoon to meet Pi Jam to go over the latest copy of a project budget that we have been writing, but as I grabbed my flip flops I noticed something squirming underneath them. "Oh, it's just an old worm I thought", but then remembered there is a lot more than worms that squirm around when you are living in Thailand; it had to be a baby snake or one of those weird millipede things.

I bet you are hoping it was the latter. Turns out that those weird millipede things are way more poisonous than the little snakes around here, of course I was left face to face with its squirming body and its hundreds of legs.

I had seen my host mom kill one before. She chopped it in two with a butcher knife. Now, the knife would be found in the kitchen and I was in my bedroom. Also I'm not too fond of chopping living organisms into tiny pieces. A simple beating would have to do. I grabbed my broom and set to work.

After about 10 swift blows that millipede finally died. I felt pretty proud as I swept his body outside. I had conquered a poisonous animal! Then about two seconds later a chicken came by and gobbled him up. Ah, the circle of life....guess it's not poisonous for chickens???

3 comments:

  1. Just wondering. Do you keep a large can of bug spray under your pillow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. An to think I ate LIZARD pizza when I was there in the late 60's. It was good until I was told what the SAUSAGE was made of...Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried eating a Rice Bug yet? I'm told they are delicious...But I don't care to be the one to try it..Robert

    ReplyDelete