Wednesday, August 4, 2010

FINALLY!

Wow, I have tons of catching up to do. I’m ready to write….are you ready to read?

Given the amount of time that has passed since my last update, and the amount of information that I have to share, I will divide all my commentary into categories in attempt to explain everything in an organized manner.

Work:

I guess, it’s not really work because I am technically a volunteer, but I definitely consider my time, duties, and activities here as a real, live, job.

Towards the end of May and all through June I spent the majority of my time at what I call “camps”. These include teaching English through games for two days, teacher trainings or supervising students leading their own camps. I worked with my amazing friend and counterpart, Pi Jam on all these activities and we completed 5 such camps in 5 weeks. It was exhausting, but in a good way. These activities are not always super productive, but always fun, as is life in Thailand. It seems I am finally starting to understand and accept this concept that is so important to Thais: fun comes before work, and if people are having fun then that is the true test of productivity.

Now I have to tell you about my favorite of these camps. You may remember that I started a reading club at the elementary school to teach motivated students to read the English books that my mom sent from America and those donated by Books for Thailand. The group is a success and they actually learned to read 6 simple books ranging in topics from birthday cupcakes to bees on a bus to dressing to play in the snow. To test their skills and let the students develop some leadership capacity, Pi Jam and I let the students plan a two-day camp in which they would lead 6 stations about the 6 books in order to teach the younger students some reading and some new words in English. Those older students that are not a part of the reading club were asked to act as supervisors and mentors for each group, leading them from station to station and helping them with activities; they were also in charge of time-keeping and handing out snacks and drinks. Thus everything seemed organized and we had all the students involved.

The actual days of the camp were pure chaos. Imagine 35 fourth, fifth and sixth graders in charge of about 70 first, second and third graders. It was crazy, adorable, and amazing to see. Most stations were a success at least on the part of the student trainers. This activity had them in a leadership role, employing creative teaching methods and games, and reinforcing what they had already learned. I’m sure some of the little ones also learned a few English words and I’m sure everyone had fun. Again that’s what really matters.

In July, I hit a lull with projects of my own. I spent a week in Central Thailand at a friend’s site helping her with two English camps. I guess I’m developing a reputation as the volunteer who is always up for these types of activities.

Pi Jam and I traveled to Bangkok to present our recycling bank operated by the girls’ group to a large group of teachers with similar, innovative projects.

I also spent time writing letters in Thai to send to various members of the community about my ideas and hopes for the next 8 to 9 months.

Now that we have reached the first week of August, those letters are starting to pay off. I am busy helping people organize their ideas and writing proposals. I am working to secure funding to build two bathrooms at the community hall for one of the larger villages. The HIV group has finally decided that the four families who are open about their status will raise crickets as a secondary income. I have an idea for a funding source, but we are still in the planning stages and need to write the budget for such an endeavor. This is proving to be quite difficult, as I know absolutely nothing about raising crickets. Any advice would be appreciated!

SOI (the girls’ group) is looking to expand our recycling project and I have several leads on funding. They have also caught the eye of an outside research team that is doing a study in our community. The research team has asked SOI to develop skits about youth health, drug/drinking issues, and sex education to present at the local village meetings. The girls are honored and excited to help this team out.

Social:

I am still loving living in Thailand and have had the chance to travel around recently. Of course there were several trips to Bangkok, a city that I love more and more each time I visit. While there, we discovered new restaurants, new areas of town and spent time dancing until sunrise on more than one occasion.

At the end of July, in accordance with moon, Thai people have a holiday that marks the beginning of Buddhist lent. This meant a four-day weekend for us non-Buddhist volunteers. About 15 of us headed to the island of Koh Samet for some fun in the sun. Though it rained everyday, we made the most of it, and I enjoyed the sand and sea everyday we were there. I even managed to get out on boat for a few hours one day.

Mental/emotional status:

Though I tend to report on the great trips that I take, the wonderful projects that I work on and the funny happenings of living in Thailand, not everyday is a walk in the park. There were definitely some bad days thrown in there, combined with a mid-service crisis or two.

As always, its hard when people don’t listen to your ideas, or when you can barely communicate your thoughts. The weather has been stifling hot and I’m really starting to miss having a car, iced tea, and air conditioning.

Today is a good day. That’s probably why I’m blogging right now. This week has been full of project developments. I’m pumped for the next 8 months.

Yup, only 8 months left. Though I miss home, friends and family, I can’t believe that I will be leaving so soon. Even though I have lots to work on right now, I can’t help but to think about/stress about the future. Right now I am considering graduate school, possibly a Master’s in Development Practice or International Development. I’m taking the dreaded GRE in October and spend much of my spare time studying. Of course, I’m exploring other options as well. I’m considering working in development abroad in Thailand or elsewhere, or extending for up to another year with Peace Corps to stay and work on more projects here in my community. We’ll see. Nothing for sure yet.

That’s about it. I’m fully aware that I should write more often, include more details, anecdotes, etc. and I will try to do just that.

Until then…..

1 comment:

  1. Finally the news from Thailand draught is over! I check first thing every day to see if you have a new blog. Thank You! I also pray for you every day that your decisions will be wise and good for both you and your work. So far, it seems that they have been just that.

    ReplyDelete