Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ch-ch-changes

It's a new year! And I am in Thailand! Yes, that is happiness and enthusiasm you hear in my voice. Just back at site from a lot of fun times in Bangkok with the other volunteers as we gathered for our mid-service conference. Though it was fun, we all missed the volunteers that have returned to the states. Our group is more of a family than anything and the loss of fellow volunteers is felt by all. Highlights of the week included seeing Green Day live and building a fort in our hotel room!
Since it's a new year, I have set many goals for myself but hesitate to call them resolutions. One such goal is to try and update my blog everyday. That's right readers, everday! Something to look forward to when you are bored at work or unwinding after a day of errands or classes. While these blog entries may become shorter or even more mundane, I realized I really want to have clear and descriptive documentation of my time here. You all will get an even more detailed look at what life in Thailand is like (so keep up with all the names!) and everyone wins!

January 18, 2009
Hung out around the house this morning, but somehow managed to postpone unpacking. Headed into work after lunchtime and chatted with co-workers before attempting to catch up on emails. I was distracted by the news stories of the happenings and Haiti and had a hard time focusing. After a few hours at the office I hopped on the bike and headed to my thai class. Before I arrived I ran into Pi Jam and the girls from SOI who have made great progress on the recycling center we designed in September. I am so proud of them and we will be decorating the center shortly and putting it to good use. Things with my tutor are still going well, but inevitably we end up talking more than studying as she is one of my best friends here at site. We reminsced about my first year and teared up at the thought of my second year coming to an end (even though I still have 15 months left!). After that I headed back into town to meet my co-workers for mu-ga-ta or Korean bbq. It's delicious, unhealthy, and filling and we had a great time goofing off and throwing the leftover meat to the street dogs (all good fun). It was dark by the time I had to go home and as I pedaled away my friends screamed, "watch out for the ghosts!". Thais are very superstitious and are always on the look out for ghosts. During the ride, as I looked up at the moon and stars, I felt the chilly air across my back and realized that I better keep my eyes on the road and probably look out for ghosts too! Great first day back, but super tired. Now about indulge in my newest addiction, 30 Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment