Thursday, January 21, 2010

I had a most productive day, despite being stuck in the office because of rain and taking a long afternoon nap. I sent a number of emails dealing with projects and am anxiously awaiting the responses. Also had my faith restored in my office because after much whining and persuasion they decided they did want to give money to support the income generation of the PHA/HIV group: 50,000 baht!! It's now up to me to find other funding for about 30,000 baht worth. Exciting, but I don't want to get my hopes too high as they rescinded their offer last time.

Other exciting news:
1. There is construction of a night market in the village. There are rumors that there will be bus stop for the VIP bus to Bangkok (the one I seem to take about once a month that is currently 40k out of the way) and maybe even a 7-11. While part of me wants to jump for joy, I worry that this 7 might take business away from local shopkeepers. It's just so darn convenient, and shiny and pretty and has AIR! I wondered if the villagers would rise up, much like my childhood town of Ashland when Wal-mart came to town. I don't think this will happen. Thai people, and Sarah, love the 7.

2. I downloaded software to play scrabble on my computer for 20$. Well spent, I think. This gives me about a year to hone my skills and get ready to dominate you all upon my return.

4 comments:

  1. It will take more than a year of Scrabble practice to become good enough to beat your father, brother, and grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear about the funding for your HIV project! I know that is something you have put a lot of effort in to and know you were bummed when it was going to fall through. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, your grandmother didn't mention me in the Scrabble challenge. What am I, chopped liver?

    mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS news about your project!! Sounds like the peonies are bringing all kinds of things back to life. Good work.

    mommy

    ReplyDelete