Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Learning Thai, Snakes, Lizards, and the Godfather.

So i don't really have any funny or exotic tales to tell, but things are going well. I taught myself Thai all morning yesterday, and then visited one of the health stations after lunch. My teaching must have gone well because I was able to find out everything I wanted. I could even talk about preventing diabetes! (Note: diabetes is every common in Thailand; I think it has something to do with all the rice). I gave all the nurses my phone number and encouraged them to call me anytime they had an activity that I could help with. Also I am working on finding some funding for the health station to buy a stereo so they can start an aerobics class in the evenings. I already suggested several methods as how to obtain the stereo and they seemed overwhelmed with the ideas. The responded with the very Thai phrase, ja yen yen (cool your heart, Sarah!). We I got home for the evening I had some very productive conversations with my host parents about one's responsibility to the community. I shared with them the things that my family in America does to help the community and we decided that my family here and my family there share the same kind of heart. This conversation turned into quite another. My host father informed me that my host mom had killed a snake in the backyard when she got home from teaching that day. Not just any snake though, a KING COBRA!! Now, my host dad has a tendency to exaggerate so I'm not really sure what kind of snake it was, but it's still a good story. My host parents promptly called the neighbors over to look at the dead snake, decided that the couple down the street would get to take it home as it was now their dinner. Of course during the conversation, a lizard (gecko) crawling above me, relieved himself all over my blue jeans...hmmm...maybe this could be considered an exotic tale. Anyway, the night tamed down a bit as we looked at old family photos as a Thai dubbed version of the Godfather played in the background. 
Today is another day at the office, but I am feeling more productive than usual, because I have another visit into the community scheduled for this afternoon. I think I have also arranged some Lao lessons (quite informal) outside the convenience store in the village. I also hope to hone my bay tong (like bocci ball) skills in the evening this week. This weekend I am headed to a large city in Isan to meet up with some other volunteers for two nights, in the hopes of getting to go to the traditional beer garden in town and swapping stories on community development and life in Isan in general. 
That's all for now!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diabetes is common in thailand? Is this a recent thing for the Thai people? If so, how has their diet changed in the last century or so?

    Glad to see you're doing well.

    -Drew

    ReplyDelete