Monday, May 4, 2009

More interesting times...

On Friday I arrived to work and found out that we would all be going to the temple at the amphur muang (the capital) with a bunch of teenagers from the village. Of course I was excited to go on a field trip of sorts and to meet some more of the locals. We loaded up on a big, double decker karaoke bus (this is VERY common) and headed off. We arrived at the wat, located in a deep and remote forest, where I learned that a famous monk was holding a meditation retreat for the weekend and the teens would be staying for the weekend. Kind of the Thai version of church camp or even Shrinemont (the Episcopal Diocese retreat in VA). At the wat I met a woman who spoke very good English and had known and former Peace Corps Volunteer...not sure how though. We talked for awhile, but she was so serious and teaching me all kinds of things about how I should become a Buddhist. I listened politely but was relieved when my co-workers came and found me (I always have fun with them). After lunch (there were about 300 people served), we sat on a marble floor (no indian-style for women) for 3 hours! It was probably the most uncomfortable I have ever been, and of course it was HOT and of course the monk gave a two hour sermon or teaching before our meditation began. During the beginning of meditation I knew I could not sit there any longer. I sneaked a look at some of my co-workers, who also happened to look miserable, so we snuck out and went to drink hot soy milk with some of the other monks at the temple. I was so relieved. I explained to them that it is very hard for me to sit that long because we rarely sit on the floor in America and that I have trouble meditating because "my mind is very busy". They appreciated me trying and understood. Then we had a discussion about what church is like in my home. I was relieved when the day was over and we headed home. 
The next morning, Saturday, my host father and I headed to a nearby school, as we were both invited to be guest speakers at a small English camp being held there. I showed pictures of friends and family from home, and some of travels around the world and then answered the students question. They had written some out before hand, in English, and I was asked what was my favorite color, animal, and fruit many times. It was fun though. I made some good contacts with two of the teachers there and we talked about holding more camps in the future. I suggested a Life Skills Camp for older students and even a camp about HIV/AIDs. They were both responsive. Also I made friends with a teacher who invited me to go with her to the big city to go shopping, dancing and to get drinks whenever she goes. I immediately said "Yes!, whenever you go please take me!" I do get a little stir crazy here in the village. 
Speaking of stir-crazy....Sunday was SLOOOOOOOW. Inevitably I became melancholy, then lonely and then homesick. I ended up watching two movies that I had rented from Itunes and reading for the day. It was not fun....even when I went out for a short bike ride I still felt lonely, because of course I was ALONE! This month has been hard. For the first two months we were extremely busy and surrounded by the other 49 American volunteers. This month I have been in my village, with no volunteers. This has been a hard transition. I am just thankful to have a good host family and fun co-workers, otherwise I am not sure how I could do this. 
Anyway, it's Monday morning and I am geared up for another week. Tuesday and Friday are holidays so hopefully I will find something to keep me occupied during those days. Of course I am super excited for my upcoming trip to Bangkok and can't wait. It may be a slow week. Long emails from all of you would be much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment